Monday, April 18, 2011

Clean Slate

The kitchen is now completely demo'd after the help of my lovely wife, Amanda, and the strategic consulting of Mr. Ron Slocum.  It is now a clean slate!  The next step is to install HardieBacker cement board on top of the sub-floor.  This will provide the appropriate surface to mortar the porcelain tile floor onto.

The floor was surprisingly the most difficult part of the kitchen demo.  I guess 8 layer of adhesive vinyl tile applied over a 70 year period would build up some resistance.  Despite the stubbornness of the floor, it was comical to see various types of flooring that were once in style!

After about an hour of working hard, I decided it was time to start working smart.  I used my circular saw to score the floor into 12x18" sections, after adjusting the blade just under the thickness of the built up tile floor.  Using my trusty crowbars, the newly scored floor began popping up in easily managed sections.  Success!

It looks a cane but it is just my favorite demo too.
The 'ol 36 inch crowbar.

Standing on top of 8 layers of flooring after removing half of it.

Before I decide to score the floor into manageable pieces using the circular saw...
You can see some of the different vinyl tile types.
It was also a huge mess before I started scoring the floor.

One of the many chucks of scored flooring.

8 layers!
It reminded me of counting the rings of a tree to determine the age.

Clean slate! - North view

Clean slate! - South view

I only remembered to take a picture after half of the truck was already unloaded.
The picture doesn't really do it justice, but I still smile when I think of the words of the associate who helped load it..."No speed bumps!" 

Tile, mortar, grout and backer board left a solid 3/4" clearance in the wheel wells!

The next projects!  Tile flooring installed in the kitchen and master bath.  Slate tile in the 3 season porch.

All the pieces are ordered...now I just have to put the puzzle together.

Opposing side rendering of remodeled kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. dually impressed w/ the safety specs + your successful solution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick noteI wound up going with a dark black/brown counter. I will post photos in a later update.

    slate tile flooring

    ReplyDelete